Mummy Makeover – Post-Pregnancy Surgery in Melbourne, Victoria
What is a Mummy Makeover?
Mummy Makeover surgery is a combination of body & breast surgical procedures that helps to restore the shape and appearance of a woman’s body after pregnancy. It’s no surprise that women often notice changes in their bodies following childbirth, most commonly to their breasts, abdomen and waist.
Dr Rebecca Wyten, Female Plastic Surgeon, performs a Mummy Makeover that can be a single-stage procedure or a series of staged procedures. A mummy makeover can cover a range of procedures like breast surgery, tummy surgery, body contouring and genital surgery. It can even include facial rejuvenation! This popular set of procedures also aims to help you regain smoother, firmer body contours and restore your breasts to their pre-pregnancy position and fullness.
The overall surgical approach and techniques involved in mummy makeover surgery will vary depending on various factors. Dr Rebecca will ultimately advise you on the best surgical approach for you
What are the Benefits of a Mummy Makeover Procedure?
One of the greatest advantages of a mummy makeover is the ability to combine multiple plastic surgery procedures into a single surgical session. For you, this means just one time under anaesthesia and one recovery period to schedule. For busy mothers with young children, one recovery time may be the best option for breast and tummy surgery.
Combining your procedures can even result in a cost-benefit to you. When procedures are scheduled together, you can save money on hospital and anaesthesia fees.
The obvious, physical benefit of Breast Surgery, as part of a mummy makeover, is firmer, lifted and more youthful-looking breasts. A Breast Lift can improve the appearance of drooping breasts by removing excess skin and lifting the inner breast tissue. Breast Reduction can reduce the size. A Breast Enlargement by implants or fat transfer can also reinflate a saggy breast.
A Breast Lift will help to improve or correct your nipple appearance by reshaping and repositioning drooping or enlarged nipples that may have become stretched over time. A Breast Lift can help to restore a youthful, ‘perkier’ breast appearance, and can also enhance your cleavage and body contours.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
Here are some of the indicators that you may be a good candidate for a mummy makeover procedure
Breast Surgery – Breast lift, breast reduction or breast reinflation
- Have your breasts lost their shape and volume, and now look deflated after breastfeeding?
- Does their saggy, droopy or pendulous positioning on your chest bother you?
- When unsupported, do your nipples fall below the breast crease or point downwards?
- Is your nipple or breast tissue stretched or do you have overly enlarged areolas?
- Does one of your breasts sit lower on your chest than the other? – lopsided breasts?
- Would like to restore your breasts to a better shape or position?
Tummy Surgery – tummy tuck with muscle repair
- Have you been left with excess, loose skin or persistent bulges around your tummy area following pregnancy and breastfeeding which diet and exercise alone cannot help?
- Are you experiencing reduced body confidence due to bulges & sagging skin around your abdomen, which stops you from wearing fitted clothing or from feeling confident when wearing swimwear, lingerie or underwear?
- Would you like to balance out your physique and overall body shape?
- For example, you may have slimmed down everywhere else but the bulges or skin redundancy around your abdomen area causes you to appear heavier and less fit than you actually are?
- Do you wish to repair and gain greater control of your abdominal muscle wall that has weakened or separated (Diastasis Recti) as a result of pregnancy?
Liposuction Body Contouring – Liposculpture done in conjunction with Tummy Surgery or Breast Fat Grafting
- Are you at a healthy weight but still unhappy with the overall shape of your body or the appearance of certain uneven or bulky areas even though you’re fit and healthy?
- Do you find that you are self-conscious about bulging fat pockets that will not budge even after exercise and a healthy diet?
- Do you want to target fat reduction in a specific area or number of areas, such as your stomach or hips without impacting your entire body shape or size?
Labia or Vagina Rejuvenation
- Are you experiencing labial discomfort, pain, or irritation – particularly during certain activities or while wearing certain clothes?
- Do you have long, stretched or damaged vaginal lips after childbirth?
- Do you experience discomfort or embarrassment during intimacy?
- Are you experiencing dryness in the area?
- Would you like a tighter vagina with improved lubrication?
Mummy Makeover Before and After Photos
See Dr Rebecca’s Before & After photographs to see actual patient photos of Breast and Tummy procedures.
Download Our 2022 Mummy Makeover Guide
This complete guide to Mummy Makeover Surgery covers everything you need to know about Breast and Body Surgery post-pregnancy.
Watch the Mummy Makeover Animated Video
What Can I Expect During Surgery?
The Breast Surgery procedure generally lasts for 2-4 hours, (this will vary from patient to patient) and is performed while you are under general anaesthesia.
A Full Mastopexy Breast Lift is also known as an Anchor lift or the Inverted-T and corrects severe Grade III ptosis.
Full Abdominoplasty – Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair
A Full Abdominoplasty can take 2 to 3 hours and involves the surgical reduction of excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen in order to tighten the muscles and fascia (connective tissue) of the abdominal wall.
The procedure is often ideal for those who have excess, sagging skin around the abdomen area as a result of pregnancy or ageing.
Liposuction and Body Contouring
Additional Liposuction may be performed in combination with your tummy tuck procedure to remove stubborn pockets of fat from your abdomen area and to reduce excess fat which may have developed in areas such as your hips. The time taken for your liposuction procedure will depend on your chosen treatment area/s, your body size and the degree of surgical difficulty.
Genital Surgery & Rejuvenation
Labiaplasty or Labial Reduction
We perform all Labiaplasty surgery under general anaesthetic although some clinics will promote local anaesthetic with or without sedation. The surgical technique we prefer to use in Labiaplasty surgery is the wedge method. The Wedge Method removes a wedge-shaped portion of the unwanted labium which reduces the bulk of the labia minora. The wedge of labial tissue is removed without affecting any functioning areas of the vagina. This method can also help to reduce any excess tissue in those areas as well.
Mona Lisa Laser for Vaginal Rejuvenation (performed by a Female Doctor at the Coco Ruby Clinic)
If you’re a good candidate for vaginal laser treatments, a series of treatments over several months can help, plus annual maintenance treatments to sustain results. Each treatment session will take approx. 10-20 minutes, although timing may vary slightly. You’ll often start with the recommended 3 to 5 sessions, with each session being 2-4 weeks apart. Following the initial 3-5 sessions, it is highly recommended that you have 1 to 2 skin-stimulating maintenance sessions each year, depending on how you respond to the treatment.
Risks and Complications of a Mummy Makeover Surgery
Mummy Makeover surgery incurs risks and complications like all invasive surgery. Dr Wyten will make you aware of potential complications during your consultation. This includes general anaesthesia, bleeding (Haematoma), infection, wound healing, deep vein thrombosis, scarring and numbness. Always stay informed and healthy, do not smoke before or after your procedure and read and understand your risks.
Recovery after Mummy Makeover Surgery
The length of your recovery period will depend on your specific procedure and other health & lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary significantly from person to person. The general rule, however, is that you should allow 4-6 weeks for initial recovery following your surgery. Scar maturation often takes longer, up to a year or so.
You will need to work with Dr Wyten to allow for adequate and proper healing time. It is important to consult with Dr Wyten before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise.
It is also important to wear post-operative compression garments throughout your recovery period for the required time frames. At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, your garments will be provided by Dr Wyten. Good results depend on a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle. You will need to be willing to follow the specific instructions given to you by Dr Wyten, and attend all post-operative appointments.
Recovery after Breast Surgery
Your Recovery & Healing period begins after Surgery. Although you will be able to see the results of your Breast Lift Surgery almost immediately, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for post-surgical swelling to resolve properly.
Recovery after Tummy Surgery
Typically, you’ll need to wear a compression garment up to 6 weeks or longer after your surgery to enhance your results. There are many options for Tummy Tuck post-surgery compression garments. Your Specialist Plastic Surgeon can help you choose the best one for your body and procedure.
The final results may be initially obscured by swelling. This swelling will begin to minimise within the first two weeks following your surgery and will continue to improve throughout your recovery period.
Incision lines can take from 12 to 18 months to fully mature, and scar formation can vary from patient to patient. These scars are like any other surgical scar. Healite II Low-Level Light Therapy, Fraxel Laser treatments or Dermapen can assist with healing and minimisation of surgical scars.
Be sure to follow Dr Rebecca’s instructions carefully after surgery to minimise your scars. Don’t do too much too soon!
Recovery after Labiaplasty
Luckily the vaginal area heals very quickly, meaning recovery for a Labiaplasty procedure is relatively minimal.
Dissolvable stitches are used in the process of this procedure, which can result in discomfort for a few days as the stitches take around 7-10 days to dissolve.
Costs – How much is a Mummy Makeover?
All Surgery is customised and Dr Wyten will give you a price for surgery depending on the type of procedure you are having, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
At your initial consultation, you are given a detailed quote. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, an Anaesthetist fee, a Surgical Assistant fee and hospital fees.
Why Choose Dr Wyten?
Being a top female surgeon and mum Dr Wyten understands the challenges of being a mother. She is caring and considerate as well as being a precise and artistic plastic surgeon.
- Not all Surgeons have the same experience or intensive training and testing qualifications. Be sure you learn the difference between a Plastic Surgeon, a General Surgeon, a Dermatologist or other types of Doctors like a so-called ‘cosmetic surgeon’.
- Choosing a Specialist Plastic Surgeon means you are choosing an accredited recognised plastic surgeon that performs surgery in an accredited hospital. Look for members of FRACS, ASPS, ASAPS or ISAPS as some of the qualifications of your Plastic Surgeon.
Get to know the REAL Dr Rebecca Wyten – Mum, Wife, Talented Artist and Caring, Precise Surgeon
Watch this video to learn more about the life and work of Dr Rebecca Wyten.
Dr Rebecca Wyten has Clinic Locations in Hawthorn and Berwick serving the Eastern and South-Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne as well as Eastern Victoria and Gippsland.