Breast Enlargement Surgery Using Your Own Fat
Fat Grafting and Autologous Fat Transfer (AFT)
One of the latest techniques for breast enlargement (known formally as breast augmentation surgery) is autologous fat transfer (also known as “fat grafting”).
What is Autologous Fat Transfer (Fat Grafting)?
Autologous Fat Transfer, also known as AFT or Fat Grafting, is a surgical process that involves liposuction harvesting of excess body fat from one area of the body, processing the harvested fat, and then transplanting the processed fat into a different area of the body, such as into the breasts, buttocks or face, to increase volume or restore lost volume such as occurs with weight changes or body mass index changes. This surgery can be beneficial for suitable surgical patients who seek minor enhancements to their facial features, or minor increases to the size of the breasts or buttocks. Multiple procedures may be required, and the surgery is typically performed under general aesthetic.
You can now use fat transfer options to achieve bigger and more shapely breasts without implants.
Dr Rebecca Wyten is now offering fat transfer procedures, based on the recent pioneering work of American Plastic Surgeons and the ASPS Fat Graft Task Force.
What Are the Advantages of Using Your Own Fat
- Breast Implants are not required
- Your breasts will feel completely natural – it’s really you
- The fat removal process can help to contour your body
- There will be less breast scarring as the fat is transferred by injection
- It’s natural and improves the appearance of your skin
Fat Transfer requires Surgical Skill
This innovative procedure is known as autologous fat transfer (AFT) or fat grafting. It uses fat from your buttocks, thighs, flanks or tummy/lower abdomen and is injected into your breasts.
This new procedure may become one of the main techniques for cosmetic breast surgeries in the future and may eventually have the potential to replace the widespread use of silicone implants.
Breast enlargement with fat transfer is a delicate procedure requiring a very skill full surgeon with experience in liposuction and the fat re-injection process. Your fat is transferred as a living tissue graft and will continue to survive and thrive in the breast provided local biological conditions are suitable. However, if too much under-processed fat is transferred into your tissues, the fat will not survive and uneven lumpiness can occur.
Artistic skill, experience and judgement are needed to avoid complications and to achieve an outstanding fat transfer result. Your personal appearance objectives may also influence whether or not fat transfer methods will get you the specific look you are aiming for when you choose breast enhancement surgery.
Fat transfer is also useful for patients seeking a ‘Mummy Makeover’ – which is typically a combination of abdominal tightening (Tummy Tuck) surgery and breast enhancement surgery (or arm lift procedure).
Are you suitable for breast augmentation with fat transfer?
- You’ll need to have some excess fat that can be removed by Liposuction.
- You desire only a modest increase in bra cup size or a solution to minor breast asymmetry problems.
- You’ll need to be realistic about the possible outcomes and multiple procedures may be required to get your desired breast volume increase.
- This may NOT be the right surgery for you and you may still need breast implants or breast lift surgery to get the look you want.
- You’ll need to be committed to the pre-surgery and post-surgery process to maximise the amount of fat that grafts or ‘takes hold’ in your breasts.
- At this stage, fat transfer can only provide a modest enlargement of your breasts – may be one cup size per treatment.
About Breast Surgery using Autologous Fat Transfer (AFT, Fat Grafting)
There are many reasons why women consider breast surgery and enhancement procedures including AFT or fat grafting:
- Small breasts can have a negative emotional effect and limit your clothing choices
- Asymmetrical breasts can be very noticeable and impede finding a well-fitting support bra
Fortunately, breast surgery and breast augmentation are available to help improve breast appearance. Small breasts can either be enhanced with fat grafting or using a natural-looking implant (Breast Augmentation).
Our approach to recovery is simple. We do whatever we can to get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient.
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation fee
What to Bring to your Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure.
- Book a (FREE) Complimentary Nurse Consultation
- Speak on the phone with a Patient Care Advisor
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from Dr Rebecca Wyten Plastic Surgeon
- Organise a Skype call consultation (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient who has had the procedure