What is involved in Breast Augmentation Surgery using Breast Implants?
Deciding to have breast surgery to enlarge and reshape your breasts – to gain more cleavage and even side boob – is a big decision. So it’s helpful to understand some of the procedure details and choices you’ll be making about getting breast implants and what to expect from a Breast Augmentation procedure.
- In discussing your desired surgery outcomes, Dr Wyten meets with you during an Initial Consultation.
- She’ll take a medical history and ask you questions about your health, surgery goals and prior surgery experiences.
- She’ll take photographs of your current condition to use for discussions and comparisons after your procedure.
- She’ll also discuss your option for getting breast implants and will recommend some best-practice breast size selection methods, such as using bra sizers or potentially a 3d imaging system if required (Hawthorn option – please request if this is important to you).
- Breast Augmentation and breast implant choices – such as size, brand, placement and projection decisions, need to take into account several factors and measurements.
Decisions for breast implants NEED to take into account your appearance goals, existing tissues/skin health or skin laxity, your torso height, nipple distance, nipple to sternum notch measurements, your body shape and level of existing breast tissues as well your inframammary fold. If you have severely uneven breasts in terms of size, position or nipple location, this is a condition known as ASYMMETRY and additional surgical techniques for your breast enlargement MAY be required.
Once you and your Surgeon have decided on the breast implant type, incision location and the plane of placement (in front of or behind the pectoral muscle), as well as the optimal size you desire and which suits your overall body proportions, then your Surgery be scheduled.
What Is The Process Leading Up To The Procedure for getting Breast Implants?
- Before you go ahead with a breast surgery, you should expect to have several consultations with your Dr Wyten.
- You’ll also need to read the GUIDE books before and after your consultation, and any materials provided, such as risks, costs/price quotes and recovery and healing guidelines.
- Your meetings and reading materials will cover breast implant surgery topics that include:
- your individual needs/existing breast conditions and how that impacts your surgery results
- your surgical options
- your clinical breast examinations
- a cooling off period
Breast Augmentation Procedure can be done in Hospitals with or without an overnight stay – ask your Surgeon what’s best.
But even if you attend a consultation to discuss getting breast implants with Dr Wyten in Melbourne or Berwick, there is never an obligation to proceed with surgery.
Surgery is a big decision – make your choices carefully and be sure you understand the procedure, costs and risks.
Dr Rebecca Wyten will help you maximise your chances of getting a long-lasting, natural looking and body-balanced result, and you’ll love her respectful, honest and down to earth communication style.
Download Our Breast Augmentation Guide
Breast Enlargement Surgery using breast implants is performed under a general anaesthetic in accredited Private Hospital Facilities in Melbourne.
Dr Rebecca Wyten is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with FRACS recognition, one of the most highly trained/monitored types of Surgeons who perform breast and body contouring surgeries. She is highly qualified and experienced in breast augmentation and other breast and tummy tuck procedures.
She performs Plastic Surgery & Breast Surgery in fully accredited hospitals in Berwick (near Melbourne) so as to optimise your post-operative comfort and your in-operation safety.
Not all surgeons have these privileges, and some only operate in non-accredited back room facilities – that’s why it’s best to choose a Plastic Surgeon who has hospital operating rights.
For most patients who are in generally good health, the operation itself is often relatively straight forward. However, good results depend on meticulous pre-surgical planning and measurement taking. Dr Wyten is meticulous about performing extensive mark-ups pre-surgery before you go into the operating theatre to get better breasts.
Dr Rebecca Wyten will spend quite a bit of time measuring and marking out before the Anaesthetic commences, and you’ll also have numerous opportunities to discuss the surgery and your size and shape and nipple appearance preferences with your Specialist Surgeon, including the important initial consultation.
If you have questions or concerns at ANY time, please don’t hesitate to ask Dr Wyten and/or her Patient Support Team.
It is important that you feel comfortable with your choices and that you understand the surgical procedure and potential surgery risks, as well as that individual outcomes can vary significantly from patient to patient.
Getting Breast Implants – What happens when you’re in hospital?
You’ll check in to the hospital at the designated time (be sure you follow pre-operation instructions – sorry, no coffee or food until AFTER your surgery…check your pre-op instructions and follow them carefully as they are in your best interest when getting breast implants/breast augmentation surgery).
You’ll fill in forms and be asked to affirm your name, date of birth, address, medical and contacts and answer other questions of this nature.
Next, Dr Wyten will come to talk with you before you go into theatre, affirming the operation and your consent.
You’ll also meet with the Anaesthetist, who will also ask you a lot of questions
In the operating theatre, once the anaesthetic has begun, the operation will be performed according to your agreed individual plan.
- Usually only a short incision (about 4cms) is required
- This is typically performed in the under-breast crease area known as the Inframammary Fold
- Dr Rebecca Wyten then creates a precise surgical pocket for your implant – this takes extensive skill and expertise to get the best results
- A specially designed funnel is then used to insert the implant into your breast pocket
- This procedure helps eliminate the need for the implant to be handled, and is believed to reduce the already-small risk of implant rupture during the procedure
- At the end of the operation, the incision is closed with dissolving stitches placed deep into the skin surface.
- Often meaning that NO stitches will need to be removed following surgery, for most patients.
- Dr Wyten also prioritises NO DRAIN procedures to give you a DRAIN FREE recovery period whenever this is feasible (and in a standard breast augmentation procedure by a Breast Specialist, it is unusual for drain tubes to be used)
- The suture (incision) line is covered with a water proof dressing and a soft crop top bra is fitted
Example of natural-looking breast implants – Breast Augmentation Surgery by Dr Rebecca Wyten, Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne (Hawthorn or Berwick)
You’ll be given clear instructions for post-op healing and post-op care including what garments to wear and what else to do to maximise your surgical results, minimise scarring and facilitate your recovery processes.
Please Consult your Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon for Further Advice Today.
Each patient is an individual, and each surgery is customised to fit each patient. Please contact us today for any questions or to arrange a consult with Dr Rebecca Wyten.
You’ll attend follow up appointments (check ups) at several points after your surgery – where Dr Wyten and/or her nursing team will check your healing processes and recovery and scar healing.
Over time, you’ll need to attend ANNUAL follow up appointments so be sure your book these in.
Ask Dr Wyten how you can help fade your scars – including avoiding sun exposure on fresh surgery scars.
You’ll have ready access to the Patient Care Team and/or to Dr Wyten following your Surgical Procedure should you have any urgent questions or need.
See photos of breast surgery results by clicking on the link below.