Breast Enlargement Surgery Using Your Own Fat – Fat Transfer to Breasts
One of the latest techniques for breast enlargement or natural breast augmentation surgery is autologous fat transfer/fat grafting.
You can now use fat transfer options to achieve bigger and more shapely breasts without implants.
Dr Rebecca Wyten, a Female Specialist Plastic Surgeon is now offering Breast Enlargement Fat Transfer procedures in Melbourne based on the recent pioneering work of American Plastic Surgeons and the ASPS Fat Graft Task Force. She has spent time in Belgium to learn the techniques of fat transfer expert Dr Emmanuel Delay and worked with some of the best plastic surgeons in Australia to develop her techniques.
During the procedure, your surgeon will remove fat from a donor site on your body via liposuction, and once the surgeon purifies it they reinject it into the breast. This surgery can be beneficial for suitable surgical patients who seek a modest increase in the size of their breasts. However, it is important to note that you may require multiple procedures. Typically surgeons perform this procedure while the patient is under general anaesthetic.
Download Our Fat Transfer To Breast Guide
What is Breast Augmentation by Fat Transfer?
Autologous Fat Transfer, also known as AFT or Fat Grafting, is a surgical process that involves liposuction harvesting of excess body fat from one area of the body, processing the harvested fat, and then transplanting the processed fat into a different area of the body, such as into the breasts, buttocks or face. This procedure can help increase volume or restore lost volume such as occurs with weight changes or body mass index changes.
Why choose to have fat transfer breast surgery?
There are many reasons why women consider breast surgery and enhancement procedures including AFT or fat grafting:
- Small breasts can have a negative emotional effect and limit your clothing choices.
- Asymmetrical breasts can be very noticeable and impede finding a well-fitting support bra.
Fortunately, breast surgery and breast augmentation are available to help improve breast appearance. Surgery can enhance small breasts either with fat grafting or using a natural-looking implant (Breast Augmentation). Dr Wyten’s approach to recovery is simple. We do whatever we can to get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
What are the Benefits of Fat Transfer for Breast Enhancement?
This video explores the benefits of having a Fat Transfer procedure.
Fat transfer is a surgical technique where the surgeon takes fat from one location via liposuction and introduces it in small strands into the breast area to increase the volume or change the shape of the breast. Surgeons can perform Breast Enlargement Fat transfer as a solo procedure or in conjunction with other breast procedures.
What are the advantages of using your own fat?
- No foreign body, in other words, no Implants
- Your breasts will feel completely natural – it’s really you
- The fat removal process can help to contour your body
- There will be less breast scarring as the procedure uses injections.
- It’s natural and improves the appearance of your skin
Am I a suitable candidate for fat transfer?
Ideal candidates for Autologous Fat Breast Augmentation want a half a cup to a one cup size increase and can maintain a stable weight.
- You’ll need to have some excess fat in your donor site that the surgeon can remove by Liposuction.
- You desire only a modest increase in bra cup size or a solution to minor breast asymmetry problems.
- You’ll need to be realistic about the possible outcomes and you may need multiple procedures to get to the breast size you desire.
- This may NOT be the right surgery for you and you may still need breast implants or breast lift surgery to get the look you want.
- Commitment is key to the pre-surgery and post-surgery process in order to maximise the amount of fat that grafts/’takes hold’ in your breasts.
- At this stage, fat transfer can only provide a modest enlargement of your breasts – may be one cup size per treatment.
Fat transfer can be done alone or in combination with other breast surgery to add volume in a specific area and optimise the end result.
Before and After Photos of Breast Enlargement Fat Transfer
Click here to see more of Dr Rebecca Wyten’s before and after photos in the Breast fat transfer gallery.
The Fat Grafting Procedure – How is the Fat Transferred to the Breast?
This innovative procedure is known as autologous fat transfer (AFT) or fat grafting. It uses fat from your buttocks, thighs, flanks or tummy/lower abdomen and injects it into your breasts. This new procedure may become one of the main techniques for cosmetic breast surgeries in the future and may eventually have the potential to replace the widespread use of silicone implants.
Breast enlargement at transfer is a delicate procedure requiring a very skilled surgeon with experience in liposuction and the fat re-injection process. Your fat is transferred as a living tissue graft and will continue to survive and thrive in the breast if local biological conditions are suitable. However, if too much under-processed fat is transferred into your tissues, the fat will not survive and uneven lumpiness can occur.
Artistic skill, experience and good judgement are vital to avoid complications and to achieve an outstanding fat transfer result. Your personal appearance objectives may also influence whether or not fat transfer methods will get you the specific look you are aiming for when you choose breast enhancement surgery.
Fat Transfer FAQs
Where can the fat be taken from?
- This is dependant on the patient but can include the abdomen, hips, back, legs.
Can you get fat transfer using another person’s fat?
- Unfortunately No, it must be your own fat. The immune system of the person receiving the fat would kill off all donor fat cells.
Are there Scars from fat transfer surgery?
- Donor sites (where the fat is taken from) and the area the fat is transferred will have a very small incision site. This allows the cannula access to remove and add the fat.
How long does fat grafting take?
- Fat transfer is a procedure that requires sterile hospital environment. It can take an hour or 2 depending on the volume of fat and the number of different locations the fat comes from.
Is the transferred fat permanent?
- Approx 40-60% of the fat your sugeon injects into the breast will remain your body will reabsorbs so of it. Once the fat has taken hold it remains as your own fat as long as you maintain your weight. If you gain or lose weight the fat transfer will increase or decrease similar to the rest of your body. You can assist the uptake of the fat transfer by eating well during recovery.
Can you combine breast implants with the fat transfer for perkier breasts or more upper poll fullness?
Fat transfer can be a useful tool in conjunction with breast augmentation to change the shape, optimise volume and create more cleavage and to hide the breast implant so your result looks and feels more natural.
Fat transfer is also useful for patients seeking a ‘Mummy Makeover‘ – which is typically a combination of abdominal tightening (Tummy Tuck) surgery and breast enhancement surgery (or arm lift procedure).
Is there any way to get bigger breasts without surgery?
- No, not really. Some people do gain fat in their breasts with weight gain or hormonal changes but the size will then decrease with subsequent weight loss.
Download Our Breast Surgery Guide
Recovery after Fat Grafting Breast Enlargement
What will the recovery of fat transfer be like?
- You will initially have some swelling and bruising in both the donor and breast sites.
Can I exercise after fat transfer?
- The recommendation is that patients maintain a stable weight for approx 3 months after the procedure.
- Mild regular exercise that the patient is familiar with is fine, once the surgeon gives you the all-clear.
When will I see my final results after the fat transfer?
- Most reliable end results of fat transfer are usually seen around 3 months after postop. This is because most of the swelling has dispersed by this point.
How soon can I return to work?
- Returning to work depends on the work you do. Office work most patients can return to work the following week. Other more strenuous work may require more time off.
Risks and Complications of a Fat Transfer Procedure
What are the risks of fat transfer?
- There are always risks associated with any surgical procedure, however, we are aware of those risks and are proactive to minimise them. More specifically with fat transfer, the risks are fat reabsorption, cysts formation, infection and fat emboli.
Is Breast Enlargement by Fat transfer safe?
- As with all surgical procedures, there are possible risks. We are aware of these risks and we are proactive to minimise your risks during and after the procedure to make it as safe as possible.
Will fat transfer affect nipple sensation?
- The majority of the time surgery does not affect nipple sensation, however, depending on the volume introduced or other procedures performed in conjunction with the fat transfer may affect nipple sensation.
Cost of a Fat Transfer to Breast Procedure – Breast Enlargement with Fat Prices & Costs
How much does a fat transfer cost?
- The cost of fat transfer is similar to that of breast augmentation with an implant.
Meet the REAL Dr Rebecca Wyten – Mum, Wife, Talented Artist and Caring, Precise Surgeon
Watch this video to learn more about the life and work of Dr Rebecca Wyten.
Dr Rebecca Wyten has Clinic Locations in Hawthorn & Berwick serving the Eastern and South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne, Australia